Gift of Real Estate with Retained Life Estate
On April 1, 1947, when Miss Cornelia B. White presented the deed to her beautifully landscaped Tahquitz Drive estate to H. Earl Hoover, VP, Board of Trustees, for use as the site of the Palm Springs Desert Museum. This gift allowed the museum to immediately occupy the western half of the estate, and at the same time gave Miss White the right to live there in her home for the rest of her life. Mr. Hoover then donated Hoover Company stock, matched by two other donors, to move a temporary building to the site. According to reports, Miss Cornelia wanted to see the development of the museum proceed during her lifetime.